Saturday, February 6, 2010

...some things shouldn't be for forever?

When I was little my favorite movie was the old Gene Wilder "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". The Umpa Loompas didn't even scare me (a miracle if you would have known that I was scared of the Terror-ride at Lagoon and I went through it with my eyes closed/ears plugged. Haven't gone through it since- but I have overcome my fear of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland... mostly.This parenthesis getting really out of control so this is a topic for another time.) and how great is the line: "Violet, you're turning violet, Violet!"?

Anyway- imagine my sheer joy in finding out that there is, in fact, an Everlasting Gobstopper (which I might have eaten entirely too many of with Sister Anderson in Canby. Delicious!)! In contrast- imagine the disappointment when I find out they truly aren't "everlasting" as they advertise. (it's fine though- After much prayer and counseling I've accepted it. I'm not bringing back fresh wounds.) What's so great about "everlasting" anyway? Why was it so amazingly awesome to have a candy that lasts forever? (In fact, thinking about it- it's kind of gross) Well, I think the concept of anything sustaining a really really really long time is kind of exciting- until I look at things that I do NOT wish would last forever. Examples:

*Laundry. Seriously? How does it pile up so fast? Maybe I'll boycott clothes for a while...and Maybe I won't. Someone HAS to come up with a better solution so I don't have to do it so often! And while you're at it... figure out a way I don't have to fold or hang up things. That would be great. Thanks.

*Homework. No Bueno. Really it's not necessarily just the homework. I can handle that. It's the Midterms (all at the same time of course), group projects (does NOT play well with others), and random surprise requirements teachers feel to inflict upon us poor students- because they think it's funny. We want that piece of paper sooo bad- and they know we'll do anything for it. Including, staying up all night for 3 nights in a row just to finish a paper. I'd better stop before it gets out of control.

*Exercising. Sometimes I don't want to go to bed- so I don't have to wake up- so I don't have to work out. That is all.

*Oil Changes. It's too cold to do it myself (Marketable skill right there! Yes, I can do it myself- thanks, Briant) so I have to pay someone else to do it- every 3 months. For FOREVER! Really just car maintenance in general... Cars should just work for forever- without the maintenance of forever. :)

So really? What's so great about things that are "everlasting"? Sometimes... it's too long. I'd better go put some laundry in so I can have clothes for after my workout so I can study for a test I have to take today before going for an oil change and a tire swap.

1 comment:

  1. Mickelle, you've never had everlasting gobstoppers before?? However, I too remember the sad moment when I realized that they weren't actually everlasting. And also that they looked nothing like in the movie. :(

    ReplyDelete